Saturday, March 18, 2017

Permits & Preparation

The remodeling plans are underway. We had another meeting with our designer, general contractor and draftsman. We walked through the house and detailed all of the changes being made as the draftsman sketched. Listening to the three of them discuss ideas and work through solutions was awesome and had Mike and I pretty excited for what's to come. Our house will definitely have that Joanna Gaines feel when it's finished and I can hardly wait. Because some of the changes being made are structural, we have to get permits.  There could be a little back and forth in this process - so in all reality, we'll be waiting at least a month before we can start demolition. Once that starts, our general contractor expects about 6-8 weeks of work to complete everything. (Summer of FUN!) In the meantime, we have been tasked with selecting appliances (done), counter tops (98% done), choosing new front doors, and picking out our wood stove and insert for the family and living rooms. Though it SEEMS like we aren't starting right away, we have A LOT to do to prep for demolition - and with both of us working full time, that means we only have a handful of weekends to get it all done. First, we have to clear our garage to make space for the appliances and other fun materials that will be arriving. Then, we have to actually pack the master and two little kids' rooms and move everything into the office and our teenager's room. (I keep telling them this will be a fun adventure!) Then we have to fully pack up our kitchen and create a mini kitchen in our laundry room. It's a lot - and will definitely take up every free weekend we have! This will be so worth it though!

Honestly, the millions of inspirational pictures on the internet have my head spinning a bit - which is why I am so happy to have our designer to help us. I know what I like, but like I've said before, I have a hard time putting it all together.

The doors below are similar to what we're installing for our front doors. We'll paint the house white and keep the doors a rustic brown. I love that I can have windowed doors and not worry about any strangers peering in. ;)



We also are big fans of the classic farmhouse lighting. While I will lean on our designer's expertise quite a bit, these have caught my eye more than once.



We've also opted to forego the stainless steel range hood, and do something more farmhouse. This was my designer's suggestion via text - so because we rely on her eye so much - I canceled  the order of the stainless hood and can't wait to see what she comes up with. We are in good hands, folks!

I'll continue to post the good, the bad, and the ugly of renovating here. Stay tuned!





No comments:

Post a Comment